Thursday 23 January 2014

Some ugly reminders of my drunken past

I have listed below some ugly reminders of my drunken past (spanning over twenty years) to help me stay on track:
  • Secretly drinking from friends' glasses while they were out of the room
  • Dinner party with parents from my children's new school
  • Hangovers from hell
  • My dad's fireworks party
  • Looking bloated, red and puffy with blood shot eyes
  • Throwing up and clogging up the sink
  • Driving home
  • Wine- stained lips and tongue 
  • Banging headaches
  • Upsetting my children
  • Feeling remorseful, paranoid, guilty and full of self-loathing
  • Wondering what I said or did
  • Eating junk food
  • Wetting the bed
  • Making a complete tit of myself
  • Not remembering anything
  • Keeping bad company
  • Drinking all my father-in-law's Tia Maria
  • Chain smoking
  • Lying 
  • Losing my self-respect
  • Popping too many painkillers
  • Almost killing myself on a wine glass
  • Being boring and terrible company
  • Getting in a car with a total stranger
  • Drinking a bottle of wine before going to a party
  • Being horrible to my husband
  • Feeling like I've let everyone down
I can't quite believe this list (which could probably go on and on).  I have been in denial for so long, always labelling myself as a harmless 'social drinker'.

1 comment:

  1. I have just found your blog through twitter and I couldn't leave without saying well done! I hope you are proud of yourself (and I hope that doesn't sound patronising) x

    ReplyDelete